I used this recipe, but it was way too much and I ended up freezing almost 3/4ths of the dough. I wouldn't recommend freezing them because they didn't turn out as well after being defrosted.
Next time I'll make a smaller recipe...here's my new smaller recipe:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter flavored crisco
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- honey/powdered sugar for toppings
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Stir in water; mix until dough is smooth. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Roll out on floured board until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch squares. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (I didn't have a thermometer, but the burner was about medium/medium high). Basically, I threw a small piece of dough in and if it started frying, then it was ready. Fry until light golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve hot with honey & powdered sugar.